Re: Radio Broadcast on 97x (or regurgitating again)

In a message dated 3/13/01 2:47:29 PM Central Standard Time,
b_lachey at hotmail_com writes:

<< can you provide PROOF that all CCM music
 isn't bad?!  ;)  Oh wait, I'm ready for another bout of "Is OtR a Christian
 Band?".  No, really, I am.  :)

 Bruce >>

At the risk of getting hooked by a tongue and cheek comment here I go again...

da Proof: Mark Heard, Terry Taylor in his many incarnations, Mike Knott in
his many incarnations, the 77's, Adam Again to name just a few.
  The thing is, the CCM industry plays it safe for the most part, and, as
Jean Cocteau was once quoted saying:"Christ wants art with all its teeth."
CCM can be pretty toothless...  But there are many great musicians in the CCM
*ghetto*  who, sadly, are always marginalized to the outer fringes so they're
NOT what is conjured up in peoples heads when they hear those three little
letters. But, make no mistake, there are a great many musicians who are every
bit as pioneering in thier field as OtR are and they deserve a lot of credit,
these unsung heros. They, unlike many of thier secualar counterparts are NOT
in in for the money!  The true ones in that ghetto are a strange and
wonderful breed who love the music so much that they can't do anything but
make it and keep on making it no matter how small the audience or recognition.
  Anyway let me dive into a few thoughts:
 An artist has a responsibility to (I just read this somewhere and liked
it-possibly Cockburn) speak "what comes out" if he/she's going to honestly
create art rather than just propaganda or what the industry/people want to
hear.  Now, for a Christian who has seen a "different kind of light" speaking
what comes out can manifest itself in basically two ways, if I can paraphrase
T-bone Burnett's thoughts on this: He can speak about the light itself or
what he has seen from that light.  This is where playing it safe is most
noticeable.  Songs about the light are pretty black and white.  No
controversy there.Praise God from whom all blessings flow.  But, songs about
what one has seen illumined by that light...Everyone sees different things in
different ways so not all will agree on what is seen. (or proper to sing
about) Kinda like that old parable about the blind men and the elephant.
Some even happen to see a few of those little black things skiddling for
cover when the light comes on and decide that those too are a legitimate
things to talk about from thier Christian POV. See *LSU-Shaded Pain* as an
example.
  I know it's cliche' to bring out the *Christian musician versus a musician
who is a Christian* argument but I think that's really the crux of the
biscuit.  I don't think the CCM idea does anything but damage except for
those few artists who feel called specifically to lift up the church is
praise and worship, to sing about the light.  Let us call them the Christian
musicians if we must call someone that.  But for all those others who are
musicians living in a Christian frame, please, they are musicians who are
Christians. Let's get rid of the labels. For one thing, as soon as it's
discovered a band (unless theyre already popular) has *cough* Christians
among its members the big labels have it relegated to the gospel bins in
stores. Can you see having to look for OtR next to Sandi Patti!!!
  So are OtR CCM?  Not on your life!  Neither are the bands mentioned above
in my book.  CCM should be defined as music about the light alone, anything
else is for the -- ha- I almost said *real* musicians but that's not true no
matter how cool it sounds!  They both have legitimate visions.
  One final comment.  U2, Gillian Welch, Bruce Cockburn, possibly Bob Dylan,
Pierce Pettis, Brooks Williams, The Alarm, The Call, Sam Phillips, T-bone
Burnett, Victoria Williams, Innocence Mission, Maria Mckee, Midnight Oil,
Kerry Livgren, the new Alice Cooper (wow that one still blows my mind) none
of these folk would take to kindly to being called CCM but they're, or most
of their bands are, Christian.  So, it's not a Christian thing, this CCM
animal.  Yet, none of them are on a Christian label either, so maybe it's a
label thing?  ...But the bands on the outer fringes that I mentioned and a
whole slew of others don't consider themselves CCM either.  So maybe it's not
a label thing either.  Maybe it's a style all to itself.  Something I've
called *regurgitated Barry Manilow* music.  It's lyrics are simple, it's
music is all hook and light and disney and happy and rosey and radio
friendly. Look out! -- it's, it's, it's the attack of the rabid
televangelists in leather tights, makeup and permed hair!!!! No wait... ah,
it's all right, it's just Stryper. Skeered ya dint I?

kevin