How Unbrilliant

Easy Mike Boso, you're going to blow my theory that
Over the Rhine fans are intelligent and humorous.

You wrote the following inane paragraph in response to
Tina's legitimate point.

>Yes!  Martin Luther King, Jr., and Muhammad Ali
ought to be ashamed of themselves!  It's so
"offensive" to admire or respect or acknowledge
or pay tribute to or aspire to the greatness of
those who came before us!  How dare they!

Tina never suggested otherwise. Let me spell out once
again for your apparently scattered brain the point
she was making. Thelonius Monk/Monk and Monk are both
MUSICIANS who made/are making music a few decades
apart, who both have recordings circulating. You
suggest that in one case this is the same as parents
naming a child after a reformer living 400 years or
more prior, or a boxer renaming himself after a
spriritual leader he admires who lived 1500 years
earlier or whatever-i'm not up on my religious
history. Muhammad Ali and Muhammad were not both
musicians. They were not both boxers. Get it?

Tina also raised the issue that Monk was a black
musician, and that at least some people are going to
find it a little odd that a white musician who looks
up to him on some level would assume his name. If it's
not the least bit weird, why would Ric feel the need
to mention it when he discusses his band's name on the
site?

Tina said, let it go. If you're going to continue to
diss her, at least argue the point she's making. If
it's such a ridiculous point, why has it sparked so
much debate and healthy discussion?

Tom

np Neil Young, Decade