Re: back in my day?

Ahem. I think you may have misunderstood me. I did not ridicule Duran Duran. To imply that I might is something one should only do from a very secure, discrete location from me. Girls gather and scream and faint for the current crop of boybands, much as they did for Duran. However, as a rock memorabilia dealer said to me not so long ago, these new bands aren't at all what DD was then. "If you ask dealer who the biggest band of the last 20 years was as far as fan hysteria, they'll ALL say Duran Duran."

As far as the merit of the BSB/Britney crew, I like 'em fine. I love pop music. I used to collect all the Stock, Aitken, Waterman groups' stuff, too. This isn't that different. They sing fun, harmless music with catchy hooks and decent structure, they seem like tolerably nice young men, from what I can gather they really can sing and do some decent harmonising, and I don't see any reason to fear the end of the world just because they're moving millions of units. I don't see Karin & Linford throwing in the towel because of them.

At least they're not Eminem. I COMPLETELY miss the point on him. Was he beaten over the head by a Diana Ross impersonator at a young age? Did someone force him to wear something pink in his youth? Does he secretly have a fetish for Liza Minelli and leather chaps that he just can't control much longer?