Re: new over the rhine record

Tom Hammersmith wrote:
> So are people on this list hoping that
> it's Good Dog Bad Dog volume 2, or
> are you hoping they've broken new
> ground that they haven't touched before,
> or are you hoping it's eve-era
> rock-n-roll or what?

i don't think it'll be GDBD 2... i mean,
who knows how much they've slowed down
some of the new tunes in the studio, but
overall i've really liked all of the new
stuff that they've been playing the last
year or so.  it won't be a rock album,
though.  i doubt they'll ever return to
that (and that's fine with me).  it'll
probably be more in line with GDBD than
any of their other releases, b/c that's
really what they've been doing for the
past 5 years.  i don't think there will
be any "broken new ground," but it'll
still be a masterpiece.  i'll be glad to
finally have those songs i've heard over
the past year on a cd...

i'm excited.  this is officially the
first OtR CD that i'm gonna be buying on
the day of release (ASR doesn't count).
i got into them in dec '97/jan '98, and
they really haven't put out anything new
since then; so march 13th is gonna be a
good day.  a GREAT day, actually.

does anybody know if "moth" on FFR is
going to be different from the ASR one?

> It must be hard to follow up a record
> like GDBD. If the new one's too
> similar they'll get criticized, if it's
> too different, they'll get criticized.

they'll get criticized no matter what
they put out.  ANY band with ANY history
gets criticized by some group of people
or another.  some people think OtR peaked
at EVE, some people think they peaked at
GDBD, some people think they peaked at
Faces, some people think they haven't
peaked yet... as an artist grows, some
people lose interest, and some people
gain interest.  that's part of the perils
and positives of their art.  OtR's the
type of band that's always going to touch
someone with what they do musically and
lyrically.

some of it depends on when you got into a
band.  a lot of old U2 fans hate the
Achtung->POP "rocky" stuff.  the new
partner at my firm is going to the same U2
columbus show that i am going to, but he
had up until recently given up on U2.  he
somehow likes 'em again, b/c they aren't
as "weird."  his terminology, not mine.  i
think Zooropa is just as much of a master-
piece that War is- just in a different way.

same thing for OtR.  i always have a hard
time picking my favorite OtR CD.  i usually
pick up GDBD or Eve, but the days i listen
to Patience or Faces- i fall in love with
those just as much.

secretly just me,
Dan

np: jurassic 5 feat. ozmatli - suite