monk show/new over the rhine record

I saw the monk show too at Trinity House and with all due respect to Don (I
know that he helped the band out for awhile) I'm going to step out of the
safe shadows long enough to throw in my 2 cents. I couldn't stop thinking
during the show how glad I was that these guys were no longer playing in
Over The Rhine. The music and the whole vibe of monk had little or nothing
to do with what drew me to Over The Rhine when I first heard 'Til We Have
Faces: concise songwriting, understated musicianship and sexy spirituality.
Over The Rhine to me is ultimately about great songs and great singing and
s;ubtle electricity. The Over The Rhine show I saw at The Symposium in
Cleveland last December had all of the above and then some. So Don, i don't
know what Over The Rhine was or is to you, but if it had something to do
with digital delays, I'll be happy to tell you where you can pick one up.
Didn't you go to Stanford or something? I'm sure you could figure out how
one works in no time.

On a different note, I've been thinking about the new Over The Rhine record.
So are people on this list hoping that it's Good Dog Bad Dog volume 2, or
are you hoping they've broken new ground that they haven't touched before,
or are you hoping it's eve-era rock-n-roll or what? I think Good Dog Bad Dog
is the band's masterpiece, but I do appreciate the diversity of the other
records. And yes, Ric's dueling solos at the end of Daddy Untwisted will
always make me reach for the volume knob on the car stereo no matter how
loud it's already playing.
It must be hard to follow up a record like GDBD. If the new one's too
similar they'll get criticized, if it's too different, they'll get
criticized. The last few weeks before an important record comes out always
makes me nervous. I remember feeling this way after Joshua Tree, and after
Fumbling Towards Ecstacy.

Back to lurking,

Tom

np: Miles Davis, kind of blue