Re: Progressive: was New music suggestions

In a message dated 1/21/01 8:46:48 AM Central Standard Time, dtemm at yahoo_com
writes:

<<
 yeah, i'm hip on the dream theater
 side-project machine... i heard that
 transatlantic is putting out another
 one sometime this year.  have you
 gotten any of the other DT side-
 projects?  liquid tension experiment
 1 & 2 (portnoy, petrucci, ruddess,
 and tony levin), or derek sherinian's
 "planet x" albums, or the DT/king's x
 connection in platypus "ice cycles"
 and "when pus comes to shove" (myung,
 sherinian, ty tabor, and morgenstein).

Yea, I have the Platypus discs. Most excellent! Morgenstein was a member of
guitarist extroardinaire Steve Morse's instrumental prog/rock/fusion/whatever
you categorize it as/ band the Dixie Dreggs and then went on (probably
because he needed the money) to do some much more simple stuff with Winger.
I've almost picked up the Liquid discs but not yet. Not familiar with Planet
X.

 > A few notable early progressive bands
 > you may or may not be familiar with:
 > Gentle Giant: very unique compositions

 i've heard them, and i liked 'em.  there's
 an early-90s neo-progressive band called
 echolyn that i love that people have said
 reminds them of gentle giant.  echolyn's
 "as the world" and "suffocating the bloom"
 are great albums.  they're more of a vocal
 and keyboard-driven band.

Echolyn is on my must hear list because I've heard the same. Anyone touted as
sounding like GG has got to be good!
Trivia: Gentle Giant takes their name from the
Rableais tome *Gargantua and Pantagruel* and many early tunes take story
idea's and characters from the book/s.

kevin