Re: Over-The-Rhine Digest V3 #398

> > i bet FedEx paid BIG BUCKS...
>
> actually they didn't. The film producers contacted Fed Ex about being in
> the movie. Fed Ex originally balked because they didn't want people to
> see one of their planes crashing into the ocean. Maybe they thought it
> would be negative publicity, but I guess they went with the saying, "any
> publicity is good publicity."

For more info on this:

   http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6595,93776,00.html

   Burning Questions: The Plane Truth
   Was FedEx worried to be associated with "Cast Away"? EW answers that
   and other conundrums raised by some current films

   by Tricia Johnson

   'Tis the season to be curious. EW takes on some queries inspired by
   recent holiday movies.

   Q: In "Cast Away," Tom Hanks is stranded on a deserted island after his
   Federal Express plane goes down. Wasn't the shipping company worried
   about the film's graphic crash? And while we're on the subject, Hanks
   opens FedEx packages not addressed to him. Isn't that a no-no?

   A: FedEx CEO Frederick W. Smith thought the movie exposure would be
   priceless. "We stepped back and looked at the script and realized that
   [the film] captures the essence of our brand," says FedEx spokesperson
   Carla Boyd. "At the end, he delivers the package that gave him the will
   to live." As for opening boxes not addressed to you, it is against the
   law to open U.S. mail. But, says Boyd, "the postal laws do not apply to
   us."

   [ snip ]

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---