RE: cast-away (FedEX)

--- Dan Temmesfeld <dtemm at yahoo_com> wrote:
> Kelvin wrote:
> > Did anyone else think the whole flick
> > (although I liked it a lock) seemed
> > like one gigantic product placement
> > for Fed Ex and Wilson?
>
> oh, it was.
>
> i bet FedEx paid BIG BUCKS...
>
> the biggest shocker was that i didn't
> hear any moby tunes throughout the
> movie... :)
>
> lost at sea,
> Dan

You'll be interested to learn that Fed Ex didn't
pay anything.  In fact, they almost said no when
the film (Zmeckis, right?) approached them. They
"had to think long and hard" (sorry I can't
footnote that; I just remember it from an
interview I saw last week) about allowing their
plane to crash and kill its crew and get all
those packages wet... I was caught by surprise
there myself- I assumed it was a pig product
placement deal, too, but apparently not.

I do wonder why they didn't make up a fictional
company though, like "United Federal Next Day
Parcel Express Air Courier Zip Service" ...or
something...

Mike