Re: Mainstream pop

--- Jeff McCloud <teamccloud at yahoo_com> wrote:
> I am a new listee and enjoy lurking -- you all
> are a great literate bunch.

Whi thanks yoo veree mutch.

> On mainstream pop music: My beef with it has
> always been the repetitive nature of pop radio.

> I think I'd listen more if radio didn't play a
> song every two hours.

Have you ever worked in radio?  I haven't but I'm
learning a lot about it as I've become involved
with a radio show and a concert series.  Here's
kinda how it works on mainstream pop stations:

The "program director" is a misleading title for
a job which involves taking instructions from the
corporate monolith far far away and plugging them
in.  This assures two critical goals.

1-Make sure that NO community spirit or local
musical tastes, let alone bands, seep into the
station's FORMAT.

2-Ensure that the 25 songs in HEAVY ROTATION get
played twice a day, since the monolith's partner,
the LABELS, of which there are according to them
just 5 (and that's really four too many), stay
happy and continue the secret payments.

mike