Whitman's Sampler

So the sex-is-chocolate thing (see Kyle's post) is interesting.

People try to reduce human functioning to biological processes.  I.e.,
people try especially to reduce human emotions to biological processes.
It seems like this is done in a too-facile way, though.

Certain chemicals produce certain moods, but certain moods produce
certain chemicals.  Weather conditions effect moods, but attitude can
effect responses to weather conditions.

The notion that we're all biological response is one of the reasons that
psychoactive meds are given out to medicate so often.  Just switch out
the chemicals.  But without some kind of counseling and behavior
changing, the things that led to the moods that reinforced the "bad"
chemicals are still there.  So like this: I suspect that a week in the
sun wd be better therapy for a lot of folks than a year on psychoactives.
 And while there are biological effects of sun on the brain and exercise,
there are other effects that are not so chemical.

And--this is important--the fact that there is a chemical aspect to our
make up does not answer all the questions about the complexity of our
make up as beings, or of our self-awareness.

As for chocolate, I've never seen it do THAT to anyone.  Maybe lots of it
will produce similar chemicals.  But sex is more than the chemicals, and
even more than the biological responses, because (in "good" sex, defined
how you want right now) there is human relationship, and the long-term
psychological good effects of good-touch, in terms of well-being and
sense of place and acceptance and belonging in the world.

So . . . then . . . .Kyle . . . if eating lots of chocolate is as good as
sex for you, does that make Whitman's your pimp?

Fred