Re: sex, the final frontier...

> one: in the bible, god tells adam and eve to be fruitful and multiply,
> thus, if you believe in the bible, it is your duty to god to have sex
> (though not with just any random person, of course).

Eh?  That's like saying, since God told the Israelites to kill their
neighbours, it is our duty to kill our neighbours too.

God's commands are situated in specific historical contexts and are not
always meant to be universal laws for all mankind.  Heck, even the vaunted
Ten Commandments can be relativized (we Christians don't necessarily rest
on Saturday, for example, and Paul apparently says in Romans 14 that it's
perfectly alright for Christians not to regard *any* day as sacred).

> still in the bible, god also tells moses (as one of the ten
> commandments) that no one should ever commit adultry OR even covet
> someone else's spouse, thus bringing into effect the concept of
> monogamy.

Uh, no.  There were polygamists in ancient Israelite culture for centuries
after Moses' day.  The obvious examples are the kings, but you also get
people like Samuel's father (whatever his name was).  It's even possible
that Moses himself was a polygamist (depending on whether or not you
believe Jochebed was dead when Moses married the Ethiopian).

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---