RE: clerks cartoon, poems & beauty, and planes

--- rhys daily (whose response was greatly
appreciated) <shadow at teuton_org> wrote:
> maybe none.  art and literature often use shock
> value to grab your
> attention, to point out that the world is not wuite
> what you've known.
> it's to stretch the way you think, to force yourmind
> along new pathways
> and cause you to question the old and the new.

I got your point.  I'm just not sure that vulgarity
serves this purpose.  Maybe that's a myth.  Maybe I'm
wrong...I dunno...

 > sometimes christians
> think that sex is something shameful and dirty and
> refuse to talk about to
> their kids..

I think this is a tired old, misconception.  I've
known millions of Christians but have known not one
who thought that sex was shameful or dirty.  I think
it would be more accurate to say that they feel it has
a time and a place.  It's a matter of appropriateness.
 As far a talking to kids...that's not just Christian
parents, that's parents in general.  Society bears
that out.

> extremely valid point... in a sense, christians are
> sort of like PR people
> in a foreign land. um. so it's good to try to live
> up to an image that
> non-christians have of us? or is it worse to do so?
> is it dishonest? ?

Actually (and really, I'm not trying to be
contentious) I don't think it's a matter of trying to
live up to a non-christian's image of us as much as it
is trying to live up to the idea of Christ-likeness.

 it wasn't so much swearing
> as trying to express an
> extreme situation... some things happen that nothing
> else expresses so
> succinctly as a swear word.

Kind of like in "Risky Business" when Tom Cruise says
"Sometimes you just have to say what the F!"  I get
frowned on by a co-worker for saying things like
"crap", but sometimes there's nothing else that fits
the bill.

> is art something that's comfortable? are we suppsoed
> to look at the top
> and assume the worst?

You may be right, but I just don't think it
necessarily has to be uncomfortable to be valid art,
not that I'm hearing you say that it does.  I just
hear so many things - art, music, whatever - being
cast aside because it's nice or positive.  But that's
a whole other discussion from a year ago.

Fare thee well!

Kelvin

=====
"I never much liked flying,
The job requires trying;
The hard part's avoiding buildings and concrete."
              -- Ellis Paul