Christmas show set list

     Here is the printed set list.  If the actual songs were different
maybe someone will correct it.  I am copying is with the same case and
comments and spelling.

latter daze
all i need is ...
anything at all
goodbye
moth             (ROCKIN' DUDE!)
sleep baby jane
anyway
if nothing else
silent night                 pop
thank you my angel
   mary's waltz       k,l, cello
   rhapsodie          k,l, cello
   this darling light
poughkeepsie
and can it be
------------------
fever
like a radidio
happy xmas      ron, leigh, matt

     Having three acts in a row is a winning extravagance.  I heard of
Sixpence None the Richer through the list.  I heard their first CD in
April when I visited former listees Jenni and Chris Smith before they
got married (I saw them at the show tonight and went with them to see
Vigilantes of Love in Dayton last week).  They were the first of three
acts tonight.  I liked the CD then, and I very much liked hearing them
in person tonight.

     The second act was Ron Sexsmith.  I mostly know of him through
a cover song that Ric Hordinski plays.  Tonight was the first that I
heard him.  He will have a new CD soon.  It is produced by Buddy
Miller.  When I saw Viglantes of Love, Bill Mallonee said that one of
his CD's was produced by Buddy Miller, who Bill called a treasure of
american music.  The first that I saw Buddy I was amazed as he played
lead guitar for the SpyBoy tour, which Over-the-Rhine opened for in
Covington, KY.  Now that I pay attention I notice that he appears in
one way or another with many other musicians.  I'd like to see him
as part of a future Over-the-Rhine christmas show.  Ron Sexsmith said
that he is being dropped by his label.  I never really understood how
labels work and why they drop people.  I will try to see Ron again
whether it is in Cincy or some other city, and I will try to listen
to each of his CD's.

     Over-the-Rhine had that powerful feeling that I remember from
their earlier days.  G. Jack Henderson blends in perfectly with the
OtR sound.  I love his mastery of his instrument and I love his use
of a wah-wah pedal.  High notes is what my ears are drawn to.  I
think that is why I like Karin's voice.  Lead guitars and violins
are what I tend to notice most.  Jeff Bird's mandoline was great with
Jack's guitar.  It must have been difficult to replace Ric Hordinski
on lead guitar.  Jack has a different style so he is not directly
comparible.  Jack skill and his synergy with Linford's piano and
Karin's voice is strong combination.

     The extra power of two percussionists made the band much more
rocking than the intimate trio or quartet.  When Jeff Bird was not
playing mandoline he was playing percussion.  I could not see the
back row of the band from where I was sitting so I missed watching
Jeff.  Wade Jaynes played bass.  I was hoping to see Chris Donahue.

     Terri Templeton was back.  I have not seen her for a while until
the past week.  Her harmonies with Karin are an important part of the
new sound.

     In the local paper there was a short interview with Linford.
Like the Afghan Whigs who were from Cincy they are finding that the
hometown does not support them as well as other cities that they
tour.  Places that they are considering moving to are Nashville and
Toronto.  It will be interesting to see what a Christmas show would
be like in those cities.  Toronto might be too cold and snowy.
Nashville would be the warmer of the two and easier to travel to.
If they move to Nashville maybe they will have Buddy Miller as part
of their Christmas show.  My vote is for Nashville.

--Rick C