Re: REV: bill mallonee and the vigilantes of love

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000, Dan Temmesfeld wrote:

< Dan's excellent review of the Monday VoL show. >

I actually got a rare chance to see the Vigilantes play twice in two
nights this past week.  They were going to play here in Mpls for a short
set to open for a singer (a fairly well-known one, but one who's name
continues to escape me.) on Friday, but another venue suddenly opened for
them the day before, also in the Twin Cities.  Let me just say that
getting to see a two-hour set of Bill's stuff is a really rare
treat.

The two-hour venue was not terribly good (a little coffeehouse run by a
fellow who I think halfway through getting things set up that he was out
of his league).  The Vigilantes basically did the same set that Dan
mentioned, but elongated it with some rare turns into the Really Old Stuff
(Real Down Town, Love Cocoon ("I got a little gift from my wife before I
went on the road this time.  I enjoyed every minute of it, but it left me
with a sort of hair-trigger cough.  Every time I cough, I think of
her..."), and pretty much the entire Audible Sigh.  Before the show, he
also mentioned a few short bits about new albums.  Looks like three are on
their way, including a solo album that's going to showcase some of Bill's
darker stuff and a few songs about baseball.

The short set the next day was at Lee's Liquor Lounge in Mpls.  Great,
short all-out set that had a lot of people dancing (including me and
Sherry Pofahl from this list - I think there may have been a couple of
other listies there as well, but I could be wrong.  If any of y'all were
there and met a long-haired, bearded fellow and a blonde woman
who danced like a dervish during "She Walks on Roses", e-mail me
privately).  The set was marvelous.  I've never actually seen the Vigs
outside of Cornerstone, and it kicked ass to see them in a bar
setting.

-Drew

np:  Frank Zappa - Peaches en Regalia

O Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew, Midrealm   )
O                      Conjuring Private Oceans since 1992                 X
O   "Pastrami won't save you this time, Venter..." Diablo, www.goats.com   |