a weekend of delights anyway,

i didn't go to the concert. i decided to go solo 'paking again - needed
the outdoors.

so i got off work friday early, and took off for Isle Royale - a truly raw
and wild place... it's this island above the UP, reachable only by air or
ferry, and the ferry is... rickety...

i got there late, but managed to smile nicely enough (or something must
have convinced the nice old ferryman) that he took me across in the boat.

and by the light of the rising orangeyellow and sad moon, i walked in.
accompanied by the distant howl of a few wolves. nice. owls above my head,
and a nightingale singing.  cold. very cold for me, especially. a little
to artic for my tropical bones.

even though it was cold enough to see my breath, i didn't put up the tent
- i slept in my hammock. the sun rose, and i saw where i was - quite close
to a cliff... choppy waters below, good thing i listened to the owls.

a wolf watching me - 50ft away.  she leaped past my pack in chase of a
rabbit... already motley with the changeover about to occur.

good wandering for a day and a half. saw an eagle. found a feather. saw a
moose. drank clean water. no one was on the island but me.

i drove back, and on impulse, stopped at this museum-type place and found
a pow-wow going on. they were ojibway, chippewa. the drums called me and i
danced, too. welcomed by the dead-man-dancing because of my spirit bear.
the usic is primal, something different than OTR, but it fills such a
place. i was white people dancing, and it was not strange - i ean, their
skin was white, but for a moment they were transformed - the beat had
them. i saw this lady dancing (not terribly well) and when the music
stopped, she straightened herself self-consciously and looked around as if
to say 'that wasn't really me, you didn't see anything'.  sad. she looked
like she was enjoying herself far more doing that, than just tamely
watching. o well.

in all - an amazing thing. and i jsut had to say something - you guys
sounded like you had so much fun at the concert.

the end.

hoping to see OTR soon,

rhys

--
Good walking leaves no trail behind us. Nomad, Geoffrey Oreyma