RE: soccer/futbol (RE: Good flicks?)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Kyle Howe wrote:

> the same can be said for football, some players do just use their
> brute strength and speed and overpower people, then you have the
> montanas and rices that play a thinking man's game, they might not be
> the best athletes on the field but they still beat you through
> preparation and finesse.

ok.i concede, football is great and wonderful. truly, it's not a bad sport
- i just don't prefer it.

> its not pure memorization, you have your basic sets, one back, two
> back, double tightends, three wides, four wides, etc, etc.  how that
> formation is deployed or used is according to how the defense is
> covering, whether is man or zone coverage, how many people in the box,
> etc, etc.  so its flexible, you just need to know the basics so you
> know what your teammates are reading and you go where you are supposed
> to go and take care of business.

i venture that it's more complicated than backyard ball... which is as far
as i got.

> it is practical, its too practical that it scares the ivory tower
> trained academics and politicians.  we have a bunch of soft
> politicians that don't have the will to use it properly.  its like
> spider-man, with great power comes great responsibility, we have the
> power but want nothing to do with the responsibility. what you have at
> that point is a power vacuum at the top, and chaos and entropy tend to
> fill those power vacuums.  if we want peace and prosperity, we need to
> stand up and draw that line in the sand and lay the laws down with a
> few chosen examples.

but i still think it's not proactical for teh sake of a community... it
would be better to give the country it's own chance to police itself and
redeem itself in teh eyes of the community. only after that, coould/should
there be direct small-placed attacks.  thing is - those greatly resemble
what we now call terrorism. what would the difference be?  that the small
group of people are in power?  that's a military-dictatorship... icna't
think of another way?

> huh, i've seen them play, they are not barry sanders.

'k, so i don't recall who barry sanders is.  i do happen to think that
Mamadou and rinalod are pretty good. there are better, though.

> the pain is the reward, baby :)  its the pain, the rush of adrenaline
> as you are about to plow into someone, the anticipation of impact, the
> brief moments of blackout afterwards, the relief that you are going to
> walk away even after that brief moment of total recklessness with your
> body, the knowledge that you just put someone down on the ground
> because you are bigger, stronger, faster or just plain meaner and
> wanted it more.  how can you beat that?  you are right.  its a guys
> sport, its all about testosterone :)  i never denied that, and that's
> why i like it.

except... it must be a guy thing. i am not bigger. i am not stronger. i
don't get an adrenaline rush from that - but i do from out-witting or
outsmarting or plain out playing some big guy. or jsut making what i know
to be a good play.  it's for that sweet spot time, where everything clicks
and you are almost on automatic - your nerves think and respond faster
than your words can scroll into intent. it's the game. for the love of
game.

rhys

--
Not all who wander are lost. JRR Tolkein