RE: soccer/futbol (RE: Good flicks?)

> it's a moment-strategy thinking game.  yuo have to understand the
> geometry of the field and the physics of the ball. then factor in the
> players and all the poosible permutations thereof.
> complicated. but it
> can be played at any number of levels. from the basic runnin'
> after the
> ball blindly, to anticipating three moves ahead and being
> there for it.

the same can be said for football, some players do just use their brute
strength and speed and overpower people, then you have the montanas and
rices that play a thinking man's game, they might not be the best athletes
on the field but they still beat you through preparation and finesse.

> it seems odd to memorize tons of plays.  i like the understanding of
> something better and the ability to on-the-fly apply
> something you know in
> principle.

its not pure memorization, you have your basic sets, one back, two back,
double tightends, three wides, four wides, etc, etc.  how that formation is
deployed or used is according to how the defense is covering, whether is man
or zone coverage, how many people in the box, etc, etc.  so its flexible,
you just need to know the basics so you know what your teammates are reading
and you go where you are supposed to go and take care of business.

> me too. but i know how impractical that is for the global community at
> large for various reasons.

it is practical, its too practical that it scares the ivory tower trained
academics and politicians.   we have a bunch of soft politicians that don't
have the will to use it properly.  its like spider-man, with great power
comes great responsibility, we have the power but want nothing to do with
the responsibility. what you have at that point is a power vacuum at the
top, and chaos and entropy tend to fill those power vacuums.  if we want
peace and prosperity, we need to stand up and draw that line in the sand and
lay the laws down with a few chosen examples.

> > if there is a soccer player that can moves like sanders, i
> will eat my
> > cleats.
>
> Mammadou Diallo, Rinaldo, to name a couple... it could get
> long to compare
> mroe than that.

huh, i've seen them play, they are not barry sanders.

>it hurts, and there is no reward.

the pain is the reward, baby :)  its the pain, the rush of adrenaline as you
are about to plow into someone, the anticipation of impact, the brief
moments of blackout afterwards, the relief that you are going to walk away
even after that brief moment of total recklessness with your body, the
knowledge that you just put someone down on the ground because you are
bigger, stronger, faster or just plain meaner and wanted it more.  how can
you beat that?  you are right.  its a guys sport, its all about testosterone
:)  i never denied that, and that's why i like it.

kyle