sordidness and despair

Here's an interesting side note to this whole discussion of American
Beauty.  Several days ago (before this thread began) I was apparently
talking about the film here at work, expressing how great I thought it
was and all that.  However, I NEVER suggested that anyone here go out and
rent it.  I know these people.  (Remember, they are the ones who called
Karin's vocals on "Goodbye" screeching.)  Well, as fate would have it ,
the absolute most pure, naive girl here came in yesterday complaining
because she and her husband rented it - on my "recommendation" - and she
was embarrassed by this piece of filth and wondered how anyone could
watch it.  (Although she did finish the movie.)  It was quite timely.
She was asking what the heck the film was about so, in my efforts to help
her understand (futile...) I printed for her one of the better posts in
this thread.  Didn't help.  She was still complaining to other co-workers
this morning.  (Mind you, we're friends.  She doesn't really hate me.
She just thinks I'm Satan.)
Anyway, I had this startling revelation this morning.  It seems that her
reaction to the film; the fact that she is so focused on and disgusted by
the sordidness and ugliness in it that she totally misses the point of it
- the message, or the beauty one might say - kind of parallels the actual
theme of the film, doesn't it?  I think it does...

Kelvin