Re: Good flicks?

Just wondering ... but why is it creepy if a middle-aged guy falls in love
with a teenage girl in _American Beauty_ or _Lolita_, but not in, say,
_Sense and Sensibility_?  (I found that film especially weird because Alan
Rickman had, just previously, played a man who has an affair with a young
girl in _An Awfully Big Adventure_; there, it was a tragic thing, but in
_Sense and Sensibility_, it was a happy-ending kind of thing.)

Does anyone else here remember the wedding-night scene between Jerry Lee
Lewis (played by 35-year-old Dennis Quaid) and his 13-year-old cousin
(played by 17-year-old Winona Ryder) in _Great Balls of Fire!_?

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---