Re: Elizabethan Beauty

> And while it shares characters and plot strains with past movies, that
> hardly makes it suck.

Never said it sucked.  Simply said it was "just okay".

> I.e., this will not wash: "Oh Shakespeare. . . . Hamlet . . . What we
> need is something truly original."

_Hamlet_ can be a fun little play, actually (although it's not half as fun
when it's a big play, i.e. when people like Kenneth Branagh mount the
entire script; in truth, that play really *is* too long).  But the reason
_Hamlet_ works is that it rises above whatever generic conventions may
have existed at the time to explore, through character and dialogue,
complex and eternal themes concerning human identity, morality, the way
art can reflect on real life, and so on.  It's brilliantly written.

The same was *not* true of _American Beauty_, IMHO.

--- Peter T. Chattaway ------------------------ petert at interchg_ubc.ca ---
 No man is an Island, entire of it self... -- John Donne, Meditation XVII
    I am a little world made cunningly... -- John Donne, Holy Sonnet V