Good Flicks?

My West. Civ. prof suggested Name of the Rose, with Sean Connery and
Christian Slater.  She said it's an excellent portrayal of monasticism
and such...has anyone seen it?  I'm thinking about checking it out, but
not so sure....about that Oscar and Lucinda...what's that about?  I LOVE
Cate Blanchett, she was SO amazing in Elizabeth.  Later,
	Mari