Re: @ Re: not letting them define us (was Re: occupations?)

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:41:41 GMT, you wrote:

>I think I used to be able to describe it better, but it seems that the
>"what's your job" question only serves to unjustly classify people.  Like it
>or not, oftentimes one can learn a profession of someone you've been
>introduced to and then mentally, subconciously, 'label' them by job as
>'better' or 'worse' than you.  It's a total subconsious thing.

Bruce's job == worse than mine. Noted.

>[Remember as kids or in college even, having friends for months or years
>that you didn't even know their last names?  That's the best.
>Last names are almost as important to me as finding out someone's
>occupation, i.e., not at all]

Bruce who?

>The flipside occupation/conversation argument (Thanks, Melissa!) is that you
>can oftentimes find a common bond or link, or find that someone is in a
>totally unrelated field that you have some interest in or want to find out
>more.  Which is also true.

True... Bruce's job != mine at all. Does it interest me? Only inasmuch as
it serves my needs.

>In the "Bruce Lachey's Guide to Conversation" manual that I will never
>publish, I'm still suggesting to avoid the topic until friendship based on
>other interests or complimenting factors are considered.

I'll put that book on the same shelf with the OTR Tribute CD (that you will
never publish).

>I carefully (ha) picked my vocation after a soul-searching year where I
>realised that my neverending quest for CDs and semi-clean carpeting would
>only occur if I (a) stopped going out altogether or (b) got a job or jobs
>that paid some medium greenbacks.  And (a) won't happen.

It's the desire for clean-ish carpeting that's the fly in that ointment, if
you ask me.

---
Andrew Vogel: Program Manager at the University of Cincinnati College of
Pharmacy. Actor, director, dog (JRT) fanatic, author, Miata owner, &
much, much more! My homepage: "http://www.drewvogel.com" Linux-Mandrake!
                   "The only way OUT is THROUGH."