5 oh knott

Dan T saith:

> -> what's a good Five O'Clock People CD to start on?
>  I heard about them a while ago, but don't know where
>  to start...

Hmm.  So I'm a big Mr. Know-Nothin' about most things happen in Christian
music.  But I recently saw the 5 O'Clocks when Mike Knott opened for them
at Grace College.  No.  When they closed for Mike.  (Mike was great, btw,
just him and his guitar.  And it was funny, b/c all the Grace kids--who
are in a *very* conservative environment--were there for the 5s and had
no idea what to expect from Mike.  They had their horizons broadened.  It
was really interesting to see.  Like the kid who was teeheeing at the bar
and drug references in "Double" at the beginning but by the end had
*understood* how and why that song is so sad.  And Mike was gracious and
professional about it.  He heard people laugh and smiled with them, since
there is something funny in the lyrics to that song.  ANd he let them
figure it out.  I'm digressing aren't I?)  Anyway, at first I thought the
5's were a Grace College band.  I mean.  They seemed like a local act.
What I mean by this is not that they weren't at all good but that they
were young as performers.  Mike's stage presence and competence were so
high, that the 5s obviously had a really tough act to follow (literally).
 But.  They also just weren't all that impressive as a national touring
entity.  Don't get me wrong.  They were fine.  They did a good job.  The
played Latter Days with apologies to everyone who knew the original.  But
their youngness and freshness made me worry about the Christian music
industry's tendency to launch bands into the void before they're ready.
Cf, Jars of Clay at Cornerstone four years ago, who got an encore, but
didn't have any more songs to play.  Not even a cover.  They only knew
their set.  How much more impact could this band have had if they had
paid a couple of years of dues before CCM sucked 'em up?

I'm starin' headlong into the jaws of death.
Big teeth, big mouth, bad bad breath.
Yuck.

Kelvin B said:

>Good Dog Bad Dog...definitely Good Dog Bad Dog.  Or possibly Rumours.
But they >didn\'t do that one, did they.  But I bet they own it.

lol.  :)   I didn't read the name on this as I was scrolling around, but
when I saw the Fleetwood Smack reference, I knew it would be Kelvin.
Kelvin who was *very funny* yesterday.  :)

Ysoie said:

>Kelvin! It's a COW costume, dammit! Weren't you THERE?

:)

Also *ver* funny.

Kyle said:

>i was doing ok until somebody tried to anticipate my actions, did i tell
you
>i hate that?

This made me laugh, too, so maybe I'm just giddy.  :)

I just mixed the last of my Post Raisin Bran with my new Kellog's Raisin
Bran.  I notice that the Kellog's flakes are much darker in color.

That is all.

Fred

np: The Cure, Mixed Up