Re: frog queen, emo, and beer

I know this was a week ago, but I had to respond to stuff about one of my favourite artists.

brian abbott wrote:

> >actually SDRE is alive and well having put out one studio album, a live
> >album, and later in June another studio album since the "break up". Frog
> >Queen is fantastic though and by far my favorite Jeremy thing.
>
> i first heard jeremy on poor old lu's 'straight six'.  i've always loved his
> voice.

That's about the first time I heard him, too. I heard the song on the poor old lu CD and SDRE's
first CD about the same time. I liked it, but didn't realize how much I loved that band until I got
the last CD about a year and a half ago.

> anybody know much about the emo-punk movement. (if you could call it
> a movement)

It's not really a movement, really. Just some really great bands.

> i've heard people put sdre under that title.  i think of bands
> like jawbox and mercy rule and sdre as emo.

It's hard to put Jawbox or Fugazi that people put in this category into the same category as SDRE or
Mineral, who are so much more melodic (which I like a lot better). Those 1st two, bands like Burning
Airlines, Appleseed Cast, Brandtson, The Promise Ring, The Get Up Kids... but nothing compares to
SDRE or Mineral, imo. There's also some people that put the whole "mellow" thing in with this stuff.
Like Pedro the Lion, Damien Jurado, etc.

> pretty sure jawbox is no more.

Yup.

> great live band to see.  lots of energy and lovely dissonance. . .  like
> guinness.  some people prefer to stick to budlite groups such as insinc,
> britney, etc.  that's okay. personally i like to taste a band in my mouth an
> hour after the show.  over the rhine feels like a heffe weissen to me.
> hacker pschorr, perhaps. with lemon. :)
>
> brian

And then he started speaking in tongues. :)>  I totally agree with the sentiment, though.

Peace, hope, love, Jesus Christ - Layner