Re: guinness

>From: "John Glassford" <jglassford at neo_rr.com>
>a few years ago,  i had a guinness.    yuccchhh!     then recently i've
>been
>speaking with OTR's  Stacie,   and she convinced me to give Guinness
>another
>try.
>Y'know,  i've never licked ashes out of an ashtray, but  i gotta think it's
>very much similar to Guinness,  except perhaps the ashes might not be as
>wet.    so,  yuccchh!  again.

     A good reason for bars to serve guiness extra cold
almost freezing is for beginners who do not know what
they should look for in a guiness.  It is one of the
thickest darkest beers you can buy.  Hopefully some
will take their time with it sipping a little at a time
until it approaches room temperature (this works best
in summer).  Those who are open minded to new tastes
might decide that they like it better a little warm.
It took me years to enjoy guiness at any temperature.
I worked my way up through the light german and czech
beers, adventuring to english ales, and slowly through
german dark beer to stout, then extra stout guiness.

     One benefit of guiness is that if you are driving
you can make it last through the evening and be legal
to drive.

--Rick C