Re: good music bad music

In a message dated 5/11/00 3:49:14 PM Central Daylight Time,
kelvinbailey at springmail_com writes:

<< Why is it that those who fancy themselves as some sort of music critic
seem to have great problems with melodic music.  It seems that anything that
is nice, sweet, musically well organized, positive, romantic, or whatever is
suspect.  >>

  I think sometimes it's not so much the things above that are critisized
(not always, you do have a legit beef) as much as when everything is all
wrapped up in a sweet sacharine little lie. I'm thinking of a lot of CCM as a
good example. It presents a world where "everythng is beautiful", nothing bad
can get in, noone dies, get's sick, divorced, abused, etc. etc. Kind of like
television commercials... Now I'm thinking The Osmonds, Barry Manilow, etc.
There are artists who present the *nice and sweet* but also present the whole
picture, the highs and lows, along with it, and present the positive as an
ideal rather than a fact (which always comes off hollow and hypocritical IMO)
who aren't panned by the critics all the time. ie: (to draw from the 70's) --
CSN, America,Cat Stevens.  There is also very melodic,  complex music that
the same can be said for.
   I do think it often is the tortured artist types that create some of the
best music. It seems to go with the territory of creating music with PASSION
in it. Himmelman, Heard, Vigilantes, etc. are often lyrically dark because
they are injecting their songs with the pain and joy of the life they are
living. They attempt to live on the edge of their experiences, putting
themselves out on the front lines for their art. Musicians who write little
happy jingles don't do that. Not that they I don't think feel any less but
they don't put it into their art. They don't do like Joni Mitchell sings:
"the best of my mind all goes down on the strings and the page." So critics
have a proper beef if an artist isn't putting themselves fully into their
music. I can get behind that.
   A nod of full agreement at your mention of the Rolling Stone rag. I've
read it off and on since the mid-seventies and their critics seem to always
have a problem with anything even slightly progessive (which is often
romantic, musically melodic and complex) and anything not from the *bad boy*
camp of musicians. They have always panned Yes for example but Iggy Pop is
god.  They also said that *Wish You Were Here* was a piece of crap but it
ended up being recognized as one of the best rock and roll albums of all
time. Good music can rise above its critics!

pax,
Kevin