Re: good music bad music

Roberta Flack or Toto!
>!
>.  Why is it that we are supposed to buy this idea that for music to be
>ligitimately good it must be angry, edgy, provocotive, or even ugly?  Why
>can't good music be nice?  Why is it that if I say that I appreciate the
>Backstreet Boys because they are like the last bastions of
>melody/harmony/song structure in top 40 music, I all of a sudden lose my
>credibility as a music lover?  I just don't get.
>Maybe someone can help me out here...

really great post, kelvin.  i have a few thoughts on this subject.  sorry, i
don't know flack or toto, but i have an opinion as to why so many people
criticize the melodic, characteristically more poppy styles.

first of all, alot of pop music is good.  i dislike the way some people
criticize music just for the sake of its popularity, it seems.  it's as if
people are on this big quest to establish a sense of individuality and
uniqueness (a basic human psychological need, according to some), and they
use their music as crutch in this endeavor.  kinda absurd.  i had to break
out of those tendacies myself.  now i don't feel like less of a person for
enjoying some country, and some pop.

however, i can also relate to people's cynicism toward pop music. some pop
music has some good melodies.  it initially falls nicely on your ear.
there's a part of you that might enjoy it, but there's this other part in
you that cringes.  it's because there is something missing.  it's well
polished, well produced; every hair is in place, there's a smile at every
turn,
it's all sunshine and blue skies.  it reminds me of a covergirl.  or like
when you meet certain very pretty girls.  they're attractive at first, but
give it some time.  it usually turns out to be a big turn off.  all the
makeup, all the facades, saying the right words, hitting all the right
notes.  it's not really.

some people listen to music for simple recreation, for a melody to hum along
to. that's okay. but some people use music more for something else (i'm not
trying to say that these two descriptions are mutually exclusive). to
identify.  the music we like speaks to us to where we're at.  brings out the
feelings we feel, and words we wish we could express.

alot of pop music is manufactured.  it's not genuine. furthermore, it
doesn't endure. it's a sugar high.  bubblegum. i try to stay away from alot
of pop music cuz it's not timeless.
another point, the best music is always visceral.  i love alot of punk
music, and country, and moody-pop, and bluegrass, and what ever else that
fumbles in and out of the borders of such labels.  i love sad music, because
it's real. happy music is cool too. but life is not a pristine garden in a
palace court.  it's more like the uncivilized wood with weeds and
wildflowers, and ominous ravines, and grassy knolls, etc. . .

'sometimes what feels like really good music is just the same old song'

one of the best quotes i ever heard on this subject was by one of the
classical composers.  either bach, beethoven, or maybe mozart.  whoever, i
think he was expressing the sentiment of resentment for the masses because
his greatest masterpieces seemed to be overlooked.   i think it was along
these lines.  if anybody is familiar with that quote or knows what i'm
talking about let me know, please.