Re: Cliques Are Us vs. Kyle's Withdrawal Symptoms

On Wed, 03 May 2000 13:55:15 GMT helena thibaut <madamethibaut at hotmail_com> wrote:

--My first thought when I saw THE offensive post was somebody was being ironic
to teach us that Kyle is pretty middle-of-the-road when it comes right down
to it.--

My first thought was STOP IT ALREADY!!!

--My second thought was, Gee Kyle, whose computer are you borrowing? I mean,
isn't it a little convenient for someone with Kyle's bitterness, lack of
creativity, and yes, the same suspect spelling, to come along and make Kyle
look good right while he's hovering on-line posting every few minutes? He
gets to do his little rebuttal, and there you go, all of a sudden Kyle is
coming off quite the little gentleman.--

My second thought was that if there's one thing I've learned it's that Kyle really doesn't care wether we think he looks like a gentleman or not.  I can't see him wasting the time.

--I begin to ask myself, Who is this person who tends to dominate the
conversation day after day, whose sole existence in this world seems to be
to cut and paste, who represents most things the band I came to enjoy has
worked so hard to rise above? Things like cynicism, self-absorption,
mediocrity, lack of originality, boredom, abrasiveness?--

My first though is that I've learned, and I suggest you take this to heart, that you'd better be really careful when you start questioning people's motives.  I think you certainly have the right to speak about what someone does or says, but leave the personal stuff alone.  You don't know the folks here, do ya?

--Wake up call everybody. If you weren't so dumbed down day after day with
Kyle's own lack of originality, you would recognize that there are dozens of
interesting things raised by Samantha's post.--

My fourth thought is that this pisses me off because you've brought me and everyone else into it saying that we are dumb.  Yep, you sure did.  I'm a pretty smart cat.  Ask my mom.

--On a final note, is this a community or a clique? Communities tend to thrive
on ideas and inclusiveness. Cliques tend to thrive on inside jokes, a hazing
mentality, a tendency to bully newcomers, and a sort of in-bred stale
intellectualism.--

My fifth thought is that it takes time for every newbie (including me) to understand that folks here have known each other for quite a while.  A lot of them have met face to face, hung out, and formed relationships that go beyond this list.  I haven't, but I'm not bitter about it.  I just look forward to doing so.  Clique is such a junior high concept.

My sixth thru twenty-seventh thoughts are as follows:
I appreciate your kindness and and sensitivity.  I appreciate what you say about the band.  I really appreciate your desire for everyone to just get along.  However, I think you should take a long hard look at what you're doing.  You may not like the words that you-know-who and the resident potty-mouthed-racist are using, but the things they are saying are pretty much surface level stuff that's easy to dismiss.  The things you are accusing people of are personal, spiritual, and questions of character.  That's a big deal.  If you want to take the time to get to know people first, say what you will.  Until then - please lighten up and enjoy the show.

Cheery-O

Kelvin