Let's just say that Drew's been mining...

...and has come up with musical gold all month.

This time, I'm recommending WENDY BUCKLEW. Especially her newest CD, ASLEEP
IN THE SWING. Here is a voice that I was introduced to waay back when there
was an amazing record store in Atlanta called RAINY DAY RECORDS. Rainy Day
would have a music fest over the New Year holiday, where local musicians
could sign up for a few songs for a crowd of folks, sitting in the aisles
of the small store.

That's where I learned about Wendy and another band, called JOSH JOPLIN
BAND.

But I'm here today to tell you about Wendy.

After hearing her play at Rainy Day, I bought her CD, PAINTING SIDEWALKS.
It is AWESOME... Then, I kinda lost track of her (my fault, not hers!),
until PAINTING SIDEWALKS came up in my rotations again, and I wondered
where she'd gotten herself to. A search of Daemon Records
(www.daemonrecords.com) led me to Wendy's site (www.wendybucklew.com) which
contained some low quality (!) sound samples from the CD, and an order
form.

I ordered the CD, and read a review of it while I waited:
"Wendy Bucklew
Asleep in the Swing review by LADYSLIPPER
"Wendy Bucklew is cool," says Amy Ray, and that's the short of it! But if
you need more, here's the scoop. Wendy's been the (barely) hidden gem of
the Atlanta "electric folk" scene for years. One might describe her
distinctive sound as, "the love child of Janis Joplin and Rickie Lee Jones,
with Joni Mitchell and Joan Osborne as the babysitters." This gal can play;
her bluesy acoustic guitar work is intense, with definite jazz influences
and just a hint of Ani DiFranco. She uses her voice like another
instrument, one moment wailing full-on, the next sliding and seeping all
around the music like wisps of fog on a warm night. The combination is
deeply magical and unforgettable! Listening to Wendy has often caused
bursts of spontaneous sing-along in my vehicle (not that I could keep up
with her, mind you); now it's your turn to roll up the windows in traffic!
Recommended! "

...and I couldn't wait.

The CD arrived a couple days ago, and it hasn't left the player yet. Her
songwriting and arranging is top notch.

Get this one, and see her if you can -- she's DEFINITELY worth the drive to
Atlanta when she plays there on April 30th. If I weren't neck-deep in
rehearsal, I'd be there, too.

Your man on the musical edge,

---
Andrew Vogel: Program Manager at the University of Cincinnati College of
Pharmacy. Actor, director, dog (JRT) fanatic, author, Miata owner, &
much, much more! My homepage: "http://www.drewvogel.com" Linux-Mandrake!
                   "The only way OUT is THROUGH."