Re: [Re: has the list limped to the side of the wrong road?]

It's totally impossible to piegonhole people into one type of "preferred"
conversation.  When you sit and talk to someone the conversation will
inevitable change and become off-topic.  I fully understand that this is an
OTR list --but, personally, I would find it rather boring if everyone posted
like OTR droids "I love OTR" and "They really move me" and "What do you think
of the song______?"  Becomes a little juevenille.

The off-topic chats characterize and I learned very quickly not to take them
seriously.  It's like the list is a very long conversation with a whole bunch
of people, sometimes we talk about OTR, sometimes we stray and chat about
something else, sometimes we have the five second pause and talk about
absolutely nothing.

Besides, there is no "right" side of the road.  When you sign up, I belieive
that they describe the list as a place to talk about OTR and a whole bunch of
other things -- or something along those lines.

Subject headings are usually the key to determining if the post is on-topic.
Something that says "love, war, and stupid people" is probably not going to
have any OTR content especially if it's a long string that hasn't had any
before.  It's common sense.

I've been on this list for one and a half years (so I'm still kind of a
newbie).  It's obvious to me that I am not friends with a lot of the people on
the list, but I still find some of their inside jokes funny.  Topics are
recycled frequently.  I've seen your topic come up more times than I can
remember, the BIG debate, the "remove me" strings, the OTR is playing at
Brady's strings, etc, etc.  Imagine what it would be like if the topic were
somehow restricted.  Everything would recycle in a matter of months!  No,
thank you.  I'll just use my handy little delete button --and, Helena, you
should too.

Sorry this is so long, everyone.  I don't want AmyJoy or Dusty (Mark?) to get
mad at me, but this is the most recent example I could find of something that
could potentially veer off topic.  Obviously, this one hasn't, but it could if
someone responded and starting talking about art and creation which leads to
the origin of creation which leads to the origin of life which leads to a big
religious debate which somehow leads to gun control which leads to "you're off
topic" which leads to omigod!!
See?  And it all starts with one harmless post.

I think the real disease of the list is those repliers.  Damn them!  If
everyone just kept their opinions to themselves then we could have the list
the way we personally wanted it.  Time to start the floggings!

Alright, who gets flogged for bringing up Star Wars you OTR ignorer?!

From: Dusty Volume <marquis at icx_net>

> probably never will.  I think if I found out, I'd be dissapointed.  Plus
> L and K, I think, are more interested in what *you* think than what
> *they* meant.  It's about communication, man.  What do *you* hear?

And isn't that what art truly is? I mean, I am a painter/designer/poet/etc
and I don't go tell everyone "this is what I saw when I painted it" I say
"What do you see when you look at it, what do you feel, what emotions does
it arouse? Most of the time I will not tell them what I saw or felt when I
did it....

That's it, there we go off topic.  I like how AmyJoy even included elipses.  I
have no problem with anything on the list and if I do, I just delete.

just delete
just delete
just delete

take care