Re: has the list limped to the side of the wrong road?

Helena,

I would have loved to meet you at the Lamb's show.  Too bad.

The first thing I thought when I read your letter was how intimate and
beautiful your thoughts were.  Thanks for posting them.  My second
thought was "O God, I hope Kyle doesn't assault her."  Yep, who didn't
see that one coming.  Talk about tired.

Actually, I'm glad you said the things you did.  I used to fight the off
topic posts--sometimes I still want to, but mostly I just skim now.  I
would encourage you to read the archives if you want some really good
otr discussions.

When I first joined the list, things were totally different than they
are now.  In some ways I miss it, but in many other ways, I don't.  It's
almost like I wish there were two lists.  One that's like we have now,
and one that's like the old days when you could join in on discussions
about which part of the Bible the phrase " a little lower than the
angels" came from, or what exactly did the furies and eumenidies mean to
Karin when she wrote Rhapsodie.

I think I stay here because even though there's a lot of sh*t to sort
through, there *is* still the occasional thoughtful, appropriate, thread
that fulfills my otr fix for just a little while.

I have to admit that Lara is right in saying we're all a little like
Alcoholics.  Or is Hotel Californians?  "You can check out, but you can
never leave."

I do like the diversity of the list.  I mean there's tons of stuff that
I sift through every week that has no weight of importance to me at all,
but, then there's that one jewel--like *you're* post--that makes it all
worth it.  I think I stay here because--heck why do I stay here?  Okay
that's it I'm unsubing!  ha ha, just kidding.  I think it's really worth
it in the end.  I mean every day I have to take the good with the bad in
all other areas of my life--is yours really that different?

And I have benefitted from the randomness of this list.  I've met
several very down to earth, pleasant people--heck, I just met 7 or 8
last week at the very show you attended--and they're listees here.  I've
expanded my CD collection (okay, I could have done that on my own). And
I've grown as an individual.  I mean if nothing else, this list has
taught me tolerance of my fellow man--even when I want to cram something
down his throat.  That's really one big lesson in life to learn--loving
those you don't want to love.  I admit I'm still a student of life.

So please stick around if you can tolerate it.  Either it gets better,
or you build up a defense to it all.  I for one welcome whatever you
have to say.

Peace,
Mark