Re: Pass the drugs, please

In a message dated 4/5/00 12:02:10 AM Central Daylight Time, howe.38 at osu_edu
writes:

<< why don't you try to get a machine gun at your local k-mart, genius.

Gee, think you could keep the spittle from flying a bit? I think it was clear
that I was using hyperbole to drive a point.

<< i know
 that's where i'd go to get my testostrone fix.  how many is noone anyway.

Noone = NOT ONE... clear? -so I linked two words, big fragging deal.

<< is that some european unit of measurement?  same thing happened here, he
 might be staring down the barrels of five different guns when he finished
 whipped his out.

Sounds like a church I'd wanna attend. Perhaps you envision the pulpit bible
having a cutout to place a 45 in too. Cool.

>>want to know why Israel has a low crime rate?  that's
 because just about everyone of age has an automatic rifle in his or her
 closet, citizen soldiers and all.

Can I have a state of war for Xmas mom?

 <<that usually put a dent in your B&E's and
 purse snatchings.  guns are merely  tools,  if i really wanted to kill
 someone, a knife or a coil of wire works just as well as a gun.

Then what do we need them to protect ourselves for? A coil of wire is good
enough right?

Actually, to make my position clear, I place more importance on compassion
and community than on personal self interest so that's where I'm coming from.
I don't ask you to respect it, that's just the page I'm on. So I work from
that presupposition.
  That said, I think there "possibly" is room for the right to own a rifle
FOR THE HOME for family protection. Not a handgun. What's the need? If one
has ZERO criminal record and agrees to a long waiting period.. I would also
argue that any gun sold would have to come with a safe or good locking device
and that it be illegal to not keep it there at all times when not in use. And
the owner is responsible for that weapon.
  There is room in my mind to budge. I don't have everything thought out.
That's where I'm at now.

Pax,
Kevin