Re: guns

>From: "Maud Bailey" <melusine51 at hotmail_com>
>To: barabas0 at hotmail_com, over-the-rhine at actwin_com
>Subject: Re: guns
>Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2000 18:25:15 BST
>
>Here in the UK handguns are banned. In London last year there were 32
>murders (which is very low for a city of London's size) and only 2 of those
>were gun-related (therefore drug-related). I think the numbers speak for
>themselves. Children will keep on dying needlessly until you understand
>that thinking of gun ownership as a constitutional right denies the human
>right to life for all of us.

that's a good point.  i still think there are other factors involved in
assessing the situation.  to be honest, i'm not sure what those factors are.
  for instance, even though London has a remarkable homocide rate i'm not
sure if you could attribute that totally to it gun control laws.  for
instance, i'd be willing to bet that a city the same size as London in the
U.S. would have many more non-gun related murders than 30, indicating that
there are other cultural factors.

also, that still doesn't answer why there have been such a small amount of
violence in years past when a much higher percentage of the population owned
guns. . .

these are just some amateur thoughts on the subject.  maybe your right,
maud.  maybe if handguns were outlawed that would make the rate of violence
significantly decline.

brian

p.s. in that last one i meant to say "infinitismally smaller homocide rate.
know what i mean?". . .   i forgot to turn it into my editor for review.