joining in.....

well, I can beat all a'ya newbies with one arm behind my back: here's post number one.  I'm Rose, formerly from N. Ky, now residing in lovely Greencastle, Indiana, where the Kroger's does carry chocolate oranges (absolute proof that they are available EVERYWHERE).  I've been following OtR since "eve before eve in eden" back in '94 (I think).  I'd wanted to chime in earlier with a yipee for John Cage and Mr. Bungle (though if you want to hear them, start with Disco Volante: the eponymous first disc has "rude" lyrics) and support for the potential October Project buyer.  Obviously, I didn't write, though.

As for this death thread, I don't see what the big problem is.  If you die and there's an afterlife, there you are.  If you die and there isn't, you're nowhere and you have no time to reflect on it.  Either way, it's not dying that's the issue so much as living.  Then there's Descartes' argument about how, just playing the odds, it's a good idea to believe in God, but I don't want to get into that. That's actually a bit like my Thai mother-in-law, who's been praying for years to Buddha (in Thai) and Jesus (in English).  She doesn't feel like she's got enough backround to make a decision between them, and is partly just figuring that one way or the other she'll be right, though she worries that there obviously can't be TWO Gods.  I tend not to worry about that and to focus on living.  Me, I'm less afraid of dying than getting back the Greek exam I took last week.  I'm not trying to make light of death, only say that when it happens, it happens, and nothing we do otherwise will change THAT.

And no, suicide is far from funny.  Always.  And rape is never funny.  And there are plenty of other things that just aren't for joking.  Please.

That's all from me, except a "hello" to all those people on the list whom I know and don't know are on the list.  over and out,
Rose (Curtin) Silpayamanant