Re: i hate to lurk nothing--I love to post something

Jess wrote an interesting post on death--I could not let it go by
without commenting.

She said:

> first of all, i do not believe in much,

how sad.  but we've had this discussion (at least in part) before.  And
I think that you are in fact on your way to discovering much more than
you already have.

> i know that, when i die, it will
> be because i have done what i am meant to do, and in knowing that, i can die
> peacefully.

Wow, this is full of multiple questions for me...

Do you imply here that *everyone* accomplishes what they were put on
earth for?  If so, I disagree. I think there's plenty of room for
failure and that most people will never even discover *why* they were
born--if, in fact, there is a reason.  Or are you implying that you feel
rather certain that *you* will accomplish your life's mission? That's
another story entirely.

Now to state that everyone is put on earth for a purpose is interesting
in and of itself.  Did Hitler fulfill his purpose?  Stalin? Jeffrey
Dahmer? River Phoenix?  I wonder if Brandon Lee fulfilled his purpose
for living--surely it wasn't "the Crow". This brings up another
question.  Why are we given this purpose?  Could we say that, for
example, Jon Benet Ramsey had fulfilled her purpose--and if so, what was
it?  Could her purpose have been to discourage someone else from
entering the child beauty pageant scene? Or could it have been entirely
different--could it have been to scare her killer before he killed
someone else who had a different purpose--one that had not been
fulfilled yet? What if someone doesn't realize their purpose for living
and subsequently dies without fulfilling it?  Does the person (or
people) they were supposed to affect die without having fulfilled their
purpose?

Or, can we say that we are all just like little pawns on a chess board?
We fulfill our purposes without even knowing it.  We're just moved
around from place to place based on the whims of some greater being who
controls our lives?

Or, are we given a purpose and the choice of whether or not we accept
it?  Is our own free will the determining factor?  Can we lead
beautiful, passionate lives if we find our purpose and then fulfill it?
Are our lives desolate and empty if we don't?

Or can we have dual purposes?  Say, one good and one evil... Can we
determine our own fate based on our decisions?

Someone else comment here. I think someone else's views would be good to
read...

-m