runlolarun

I like that Bink and, umm, some other people have been posting about
Jack's geetar equipment in the midst of the what's-Christian-artist
stuff.

I like that everytime this happens to the OtR list (and I do mean
"happens to") there are several thoughtful, nice responses that come out
of it.

This was interesting:
>Question:  Which came first, the Christian undertones or the Christian
>market? Because I have not noticed in my personal experience that the
best
>way to sell records is to go for the Christian market . . . note the
obvious
>examples Amy Grant and Michael W. Smith.  Just a thought

I must say: not true.  True for Amy and Michael and a few others.  Not
true for: e.g., Michael Knott, Mike Roe, Gene Eugene, Derri Daugherty,
those Prayer Chain guys, Stevie Taylor, multiple Blonde Vinyl-ites.
I.e., the really talented ones.  (?)  Not even Phil Keaggy's a rich man,
is he?  And I'm remembering that at the height of their fame, the
Whiteheart guys (this is not an endorsement) were making just good
schoolteacher's salaries.  Compare to what Warrant (definitely not an
endorsement) was making at the time.  And then the real riskers are cats
like Bill Malonee (there he is again) who are too Christian for
mainstream and too real for CCM.  There's a guy who sweats his soul out
for the music and all that's behind the music, and he ain't drivin' no
cadillac home, yo.  He's lucky to get home with a full belly, from what I
can tell.

Does this have anything to do with anything?

>Actually, CCM has become a breeding ground for mediocre musicians who
couldn't >possibly make it in any other market. Unfortunately, the CCM
market seems to reward >mediocrity and stifle creativity.  (Not that this
doesn't happen in the mainstream world.  >See Britney Spears...)

CCM bad.  Ungh.  "C'mon baby, stand like this, play like this, we'll
produce this music so it sounds JUST LIKE NIRVANA!  Only their production
was sloppy.  We'll clean it up.  It'll be BETTER THAN NIRVANA!  Yeah,
baby, yer gonna be bigger than Geoff Moore and the Distance!!!"  Talk
about selling out "Jesus."  If you see an album cover with a close up
shot of the singer's head, or a cheesy band pose on the front, run.

Speaking of running, "Run, Lola, Run" is a cool, interesting German
movie, if you're looking for a good rental this weekend.  You won't be
sorry.

Really, the secular market ain't no breeding ground for excellence,
either.  There are just spurts of excellence now and then.  Few in a
decade.

I am so tired that my bones ache.  My soul wants to sleep and dream of
answers.

Goodnight,

Fred