Compton (was RE: Cycles.)

> > NP:  NWA _Straight Outta Compton_
>

> So why is it that almost everytime I read the word "Compton, the "N"
> word isn't too far away?

Actually, here's some for you guys following along at home.

From 'Straight Outta Compton' by N.W.A.

Verse 1: Ice Cube
"Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Ice Cube
 From the gang called Niggaz With Attitudes"

Verse 2:  MC Ren
"Straight outta Compton, another crazy ass nigga"

Verse 3: Easy-E
"...straight outta Compton
 is a brotha that'll smother yo' mother
 and make ya sister think I love her
 Dangerous motherfucker raises hell
 And if I ever get caught I make bail
 See, I don't give a fuck, that's the problem
 I see a motherfuckin cop I don't dodge him
 But I'm smart, lay low, creep a while
 And when I see a punk pass, I smile
 To me it's kinda funny, the attitude showin a nigga drivin"

So, you see, there's a great degree of individual variance from one MC to
the next as far as the pairing of those two words, Markus.

To contrast, in 'California Love', Tupac Shakur mentions Compton, but never
follows with the other.   In fact, it's not in the song at all.

Another example:

DJ Quik 'Jus Lyke Compton'

"That Compton was the home of a foot in yo ass
 Where you got blast
 And now that's just a thing of the past
 Let me tell ya why firsthand, we did a show up in Oak-land
 And niggaz was kickin up sand, to them bangin ain't nothin new"

Of course, in the DJ Quik example, there was only one mention of 'Compton',
not counting the title, and 14 mentions of the other.

So, while there is a loose correlation to your theory, Markus, I'm not sure
it holds true enough to be a hard and fast rule.

HTH, HAND!

(research facilitated by http://www.hiphoparchives.com)

--
chris.emery at ecoutlook_com