Re: @@@@@@@Compuserve anyone??

>From: Dusty Volume <marquis at icx_net>
>Okay, since the list is in this lull, I don't feel so bad for asking you
>good people a totally off topic question.
>
>Circuit City is having this Compuserve promotion.  It goes something
>like this:  I sign up for 3 years of compuserve at $21.95 per month and
>they give me a FREE in-store credit of $400. I can buy anything I
>want--anything.  150 minidiscs, 16 DVD's, a new clothes dryer, 1,000
>batteries. I *need* a new monitor.
>
>So what I'm wondering, is anyone out there actually on Compuserve?  I
>figure it must be really bad service if they have to pay people $400
>just to sign up.
>Here's the math.
>
>I already pay $16.07 for internet service that I love.
>
>16.07
>X  36
>------
>578.12

     Let me show you some better math.  I signed up for Juno.com
free internet service for $0.00 per month.  I get the mild anoyance
of a movable advertisement which is now covering the large
buttons at the top of Internet Explorer.  I could pay $10 per
month for premium Juno service with more phone lines and no
mildly annoying yet ignorable advertising banner and still be
cheaper than your internet service.  AltaVista.com has a similar
service and there might be others out there.  It is only worth it
if you do not need to call long distance to reach their phones.

     Here is the math:
    0 per month
X  36 months
-----
    0 cost internet

     Compuserve is good if you specifically want their extra
services.  But being a internet provider is not their focus.

--Rick C