10 on Tuesday: Ten High School Memories
From this page comes this Tuesday’s question…Â What are 10Â memories I have from high school? In no particular order…
- Impressing one of theÂ nuns (I went to McNicholas High School — a Catholic school — so there were nuns every-damn-where) on my very first day with how nimbly I was able to manipulate the lock on my locker
- Reflecting the sun off the face of my watch into the eyesÂ of one of my teachers. That earned me a detention.
- Spending Senior’s Night in the courtyard of the school — we also put a bunch of FOR SALE signs in front of the school. I wonder if the seniors still do that?
- Hamburgers on Wednesday! (Not the best hamburgers in the world, but when you eat them each-and-every Wednesday for four years, you get used to them. When I worked as a University admissions officer, I used to plan my visits to McNick on Wednesdays around lunchtime and would go through the lunch line to get burgers! It was at McNick that I learned to put my friesÂ on my burgerÂ (below the top bun) and eat it that way, something I still do from time to time.)
- Watching Sister Roberta (rest in peace) fall asleep while writingÂ on the blackboard in my Geometry class.
- Pizza on Thursday! (Rectangular slabs of pizza with ‘sausage’ on them — not good, but tasty, and it’s stuck in myÂ sense memoryÂ so much that I used to buy frozen pizza slabs from the school to eat at home! I wonder if they still sell those… (Nostalgia isÂ the mostÂ addictive drug!))
- Raging erections. Every day. 10:23am. In Sister Roberta’s Geometry class during sophomore year. Damned puberty!
- Uncontrollably laughing my ass off during a silentÂ study hall while reading Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I had to be excused.
- Earning 1/2 a detention for wearing only one sock to school that day.
- After prom my junior year, my date and I went to White Castle and picked up a bunch of burgers, fries, and drinks that we brought back to the faculty who were tearing down the prom decorations. They were extremely grateful!