DINNER 249: Wednesday, September 6, 2006
Tonight was a special dinner included as part of our vacation package. Wendy & I dined at the Mexican restaurant on the Barcelo Maya Caribe Resort. We enjoyed the following:
* Amuse bouche: Great salsa, guacamole, shredded white cheese, and a few chips.
* Shrimp crepes for Drew — very tasty and fresh.
* Green salad for Wendy, with crab, lettuce, avocado, 1000 Islands dressing, grapefruit sections.
* Grilled shrimp — 8 giant shrimp with a tequila sauce, rice alongside. Some vegetables, too, including tourneed (well, sort of) carrot.
* Dessert was Flan de Coco for Wendy, and a Begniet for Drew.
* We had “Cafe de Fuego”, which was the result of the following method: Two glasses rimmed in sugar, heated over flame. Xtabentun (a local herbacious liquor) is poured into the glasses and flamed. Coffee (decaf for us, please) is added, then whipped cream, more Xtabentun, Tequila, Kahlua, and then two flaming gravy boats are used to pass flaming Xtabentun from hand to hand in a dramatic, beautiful display. This is then added to the coffee. Stir. Drink. Savor! It’s delicioso.