Paste Music...slightly OtR related

Hello, I’ve emerged from the place where I lurk to rant a little.

We buy a LOT of CDs, and normally we have good experiences with small labels/distributors. Weathervane, for example. You call, they chat with you and tell you how great their artists are and you can tell they’re really excited about what they do. but WHOA – listen to what just happened to my husband when he tried to get a CD from Paste Music...

The first time he ordered there, they lost his order and it was thus delayed quite a while. But eventually he received it. No biggie. Then in November he placed an order, and they e-mailed him saying they needed his credit card number again, so he gave it to them. And weeks passed. Still no CD.

Throughout this time he sent polite e-mail, and called repeatedly, but no one would ever answer the phone. Finally, as a month had passed and no one was responding to his numerous polite inquiries, he got fed up and sent an irate (and admittedly rude) e-mail to them, saying their customer service sucks and to cancel the order. And instead of apologizing (sincere or insincere would have done the trick) this guy sends him this incredible *flaming* e-mail, saying they’re glad he won’t be their customer any more, and how if he weren’t such a jerk they would send him all sorts of goodies, but too bad...

(I can’t do it justice...it was really really rude.)

Now am I crazy, or is it incredibly bad business to ignore a customer and then flame them?? Seems to me that they don’t have any interest in getting beyond working part-time out of somebody’s basement if they’re going to be like that.

(The OtR connection here is that Paste Music distributes their albums, along with a lot of other
independent artists. But I wouldn’t recommend buying from them...what I recommend is buying directly from the band. They’re much more personable.)

Having ranted I feel better. If you made it this far, thanks for listening.

Julie

NP: Liz Story – 17 seconds to anywhere