VoL (was Re: Taft)

the great binkster wrote:
>the one thing i love about the Vigilantes of Love is
>that i've NEVER heard them play the exact setlist
>twice. even when Bill's pushing a new album, he's
>always visiting old tunes. when i was blessed to open
>for VoL last month, i was utterly amazed and so
>pleasantly surprized when he played a couple songs
>from "Jugular." for those who aren't as into VoL as i
>am, "Jugular" came out in 1990. It was initially meant
>as a demo.

Definitely... I've seen 'em thrice now, and the setlist has
been drastically different every time.  (Same thing with
toriamos... seen her five times and probably only three
songs have been played in common at all 5 shows.)

The first time I saw VoL was with Monk at Brady's (yay! great
show!).  Bill played a lot of stuff of the forthcoming (at
the time) Audible Sigh.  But he also reached back and pulled
stuff off of Jugular, Driving the Nails, Blister Soul, etc...
They even played "Motel Room" and "Sick of It All" off of
Killing Floor... yay!!

Quite frankly I couldn't believe it when they played "Motel
Room"...  Plus afterwards, Bill was a genuinely great person
to talk to.  It's like he's been your best buddy for years-
he's so personable.  When I saw him at the Cornerstone Fest
in July, he even remembered me from the Kent show.

The OtR tie-in: While I think I understand where JNF is coming
from, I still get tons of enjoyment out of OtR shows.  I think
that OtR has been good to their audience/fan base.  Sure, they
don't change their setlist much lately, but I don't think it's
our job to try to tell them what to play.  If Linford doesn't
like to play a lot of the older stuff anymore- well, that's
his choice.  Maybe he doesn't feel that way anymore.  Maybe
those songs were part of his life back then, and he's moved on.
I don't know.  All I know is that I still find tons of joy in
the new stuff, and when they break out any of the old stuff-
well, that's a bonus.  It's the like the cherry on top of the
ice cream sunday.

Hearing "And Can it Be" was probably the highlight of the show,
but it doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy "Leo's Valentine" or
"Latter Days" any less.

Just my take on it.

Uncertainty can be a guiding light,
Dan

NP: U2 - Zooropa

+- Dan Temmesfeld     Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
   dantemm at erinet_com      http://www.dlm.net/gc/