Re: pill box

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999 11:16:55 EST "Sarah Sanzenbacher GS|DCB"
<SANZENBACHER at novell_chem.utk.edu> writes:
> Fred-
> You went to Taylor?  Were they extremely strict there?  I am just
> curious, I graduated from Bluffton College and of course the
> religious private schools all know some about the other ones.  I
> thought Taylor was one of the more strict ones than even us...We
> were  just a dry campus and had specific hours when people of the
opposite
> sex were allowed in each others' dorms...Sarah

Taylor's rules weren't too bad.  They were loose enough that once in a
while I'd hear about fundamentalists who hated us.  There was some
"Church of the Lamb" place from, I think, Ft Wayne, that actually sent a
letter to every Taylor parent to warn them of TU's dangerous liberal
tendencies.  Which . . . well . . . .Geez Louise.  The model at Taylor is
community based, which is nice, and works for many people.  They call it
"intentional community," which ain't a bad thing.  It means that Taylor
can only be what it is if the students want it to be.  I think that would
prolly work without any sort of written statement.  But there is one.  We
all signed "The Life Together Covenant" at the beginning.  That's a sort
of crazy name, isn't it?  Yeah.  Well.  Basically what's in there: no
drinking, no tobaceee, no non-biblically sanctioned sex, no dancing.  The
last one STILL irritates me.  The third one was all me anyway.  The first
two create an environment at Taylor that I think is positive for incoming
freshman especially.  It tends to make frosh life be relation-based
instead of substance-based.  (I'm speaking in general.  All of these
rules are broken every day at Taylor, as at all Christian schools.)  I
really wish they'd allow 21 year olds to drink.  I really wish they'd
allow everyone to dance.  It'd be saner.  There'd be more appropriate
gyration at concerts.  I suspect the dancing rule sticks because there
are some rich old timers who give lots of money and would stop giving if
the rule were changed.  Ah, money.  The root of all evil and building
funds.

Umm.  There are those at TU, both admin and students, who understand that
a beer and a cigarrette are not necessarily deviltry.  The president is
one of those.  That's why I rarely saw a completely hysterical reaction
to those things.  There are also those who think smoking an occasional
cigarrete and going to bars is something that no right thinking person
would do.  They annoy.  A lot.  The rules are created in the tension
between those groups.

Something like that.  Enough TU for here, though.  I'd gladly swap
Christian school stories with you at a later date, though.

OtR content:

First time I saw OtR was at Taylor.  I had seen several people running
around in OtR shirts.  There's something special about their shirts, ya
know?  They're graceful.  So was the music.  It was in '93 or '94.  I
bought the 9:30 shirt.

That is all.

Fred