Re: foreign film.

Ysoie sez:

> In a message dated 10/11/99 9:28:34 AM, Jaharnish2 at aol_com wrote:
>>interesting i should spend last night watching
>>City of Lost Children with my beloved, only to
>>see now that you had spoken of it the night previous.
>>this was at least my third (and best) viewing
>>of this genious french film.
>>there's another film by the same makers,
>>with the same cast... the name escapes me
>>at present, but it is also along genious status.
>
> I am afraid the genius of this one escaped me. My only
> memeory of it is watching it in the dark with a handsome
> young mand and...er...not making it through to the end.
> But then, as I've stated before, such things as Gertrude
> Stein bother me. it's that whole upending of reality/nightmare thing.

1. next time don't watch this with a dark handsome man,
   and especially not IN the dark with a handsome man.
   you may (believe it or not) get better mileage out of the
   film that way.

2. i can't get enough of the whole upending of reality/nightmare thing.

> >i have a unique specialty if anyone is interested...
> >some people cook exceptionally, some juggle,
> >i offer amazing showings of Metroplis.
> >it is obviously a silent film, and i have developed
> >the perfect mixed soundtrack for it. i take two
> >stereos and weave my industrial/ambient/?
> >collection thru the viewer at distinct points of the film.
> >machine sounds in time with the film from the front,
> >sweeping ambient sculptures from behind.
> >chanting and small bits of terror mixed in for good measure.
> >...all shrouded by the gilded glow of candlelight
> >and thick scent of nag champa.
> >
> >i'm not opposed to openly saying that this is
> >one of the most unique experiences available.
>
>  So can I just pencil this in, or do I need a reservation?

reservation, fraulein.

as soon as find out where i'm going to be living
(Detroit area/Cincinnati/Pinconning MI, etc, etc.)
in a couple weeks, i'll have to leave an open invite
for a listie gathering at my place for this event.
i trust i will end up with living arrangements that can
supply travelers with a place to sleep for the night.
(my current house isn't -too- scary...
just ask Lynzi, Sir Emery, Bruce, Raven, Megan, etc.)

(ahem, any takers coming from PA will
have to pick up Lynz on your way, Ysioe!)

forgettable it would not be, i assure you.

oh yes, i forgot to mention:
i've been known to shake up a decent martini
during early German film festivals. fyi.

byo: goth attire (which IS, really, just a hollow
replicate of the early German film aesthetic).

:edward jay:

NP: Loreena McKennitt - _The Visit_

Idleness [is] only a coarse name for my infinite capacity
for living in the present.
Cyril Connolly (1903-74), British critic.
<<(\,- Sir Edward Jay, the Second ov Harnish -,/)>>
    ^v^ ^v^ ^v^ ICQ #13819982   ^v^ ^v^ ^v^
          http://members.aol.com/jaharnish2