Michael Kelsey, changing strings while playing... little OTR

Well, I saw Michael Kelsey last night in Eaton.  I'd never been to Eaton
before.  Now I think I know why.  Way too far out there, not much there,
yadda yadda...  Anyway, he was playing at a nice coffee shop - Taffy's Main
Street Coffee.  It was a nice atmosphere.  They even had ice cream.

Anyway, he started out, and broke a string right at the beginning- not even
30 seconds into it.  It was pretty funny.  Then the next thing he did was
quite unbelieveable.  He changed his string WHILE PLAYING.  I couldn't
believe it.  He was hittin' his guitar, playing the other strings (to a
lesser extent than normal, I guess), and using his free hand and mouth to
change the string.  It was a sight to see... but after seeing Kelsey six
times now, I guess it doesn't shock me too much.  This is one talented
guitarist.

Anyway, he went through a lot of songs that I'd seen him play before, he
also had some new tunes, and he played some covers (though he didn't do
OtR's "Latter Days" this time).  He said that he's working on a third CD
release soon.  And like the shows I'd seen of him at Springfield's Station
One Pub, he had his trusty bluesy vocalist Tevi Tarler.  Tevi is a little
white guy, but can really belt it out.  He fills the room with his vocals.
Yet another reason to be impressed by a Michael Kelsey show.  I can't
really explain it with words, but the whole show is really a sight to see
and an experience to listen to.

During the break, I talked to Michael a bit.  I was gonna bring up the OtR
Tribute again, but forgot.  I did mention that he needs to get back to
Canal Street.  The only times he's been there is to open for somebody- OtR
or Puzzle of Light.  I think I'm gonna have to start calling in Canal
Street and asking if they can get Kelsey in there.

If he ever comes through your area- go see him.  after I saw him open for
OtR back in the spring of '98, I was hooked.  I dragged my friend Nathan
the next time, and he was hooked; I dragged my brother a couple times ago,
and he loved it too... All I know is the words and review above don't
really do the show justice.

Anyway, I just thought I'd get a review in.  So, Chris, how was Slant?  Did
the Neds-foxes dig it?

Well, I gotta go play some football, or something...

Dan

NP: Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

+- Dan Temmesfeld      Galactic Cowboys on the Web -+
    dantemm at erinet_com     http://www.dlm.net/gc/
+-      This email best viewed with a computer     -+