Re: New Instant Listie Poll! (was RE: Instant Poll! (was RE: OtR @ SharonWoods))

Chris:
>Well, I've known Kyle for almost 6 years, and he's smarter than just about
>everyone I know except for me.   This should prove to be fun.   What
>contest
>shall we choose for this battle of wits?
>
>Fred, I'd advise you to avoid military history or movie trivia.

i've known fred for probably about the same length of time, and i'd have to
say the same about him--the boy is damn intelligent!  in order to avoid a
bias, the battle would have to steer clear of literature, literary theory,
or intellectual pop culture theory and trivia.

>This reminds me of a thing that Douglas Coupland had in his novel
>'Microserfs'.   In the exposition, while introducing the main characters,
>the protagonist mused about what each person's best Jeopardy categories
>would be.   I think this would make a fine subject for another Instant
>Listie Poll!

i love this idea!  i actually started asking everyone this question after i
read the book...  sadly, i discovered that the categories i would ideally
want to be mine differed a bit from the categories i would actually excel
in.  anyway, here's my list:

1.  anything related to kids who are in the juvenile dependency court system

2.  the writings of madeleine l'engle

3.  totally useless trivial facts about the lives of famous people

4.  mennonite and amish lifestyle and history

5.  pacifism and justice issues

6.  the effects of u.s. tax dollars on the destruction of latin american
countries

7.  communal living

for what it's worth,
amy joy

"Be discontented with the world.  But be respectful also."
    --Chaim Potok