RE: Coney show and other ramblings

A few thoughts and comments..

(Stacie can censor as necessary)

> Hearing Jeff Bird's harmonica and mandolin
> made me want to do something good for the universe which
> seemed to be bending right along with his notes.

I definitely think Jeff's playing added a lot to many of the songs.   A
particular high point was the acoustic guitar/mandolin rendition of 'The
Seahorse'.  It breathed new life into what was (to me, at least) becoming a
somewhat stale song.

> David's old Fender bass had all that room to
> move underneath the world and I got to listen to his playing
> in a brand new way.

Dave is pure joy to watch.   Dan, you and some others who I know have been
to a handful of Monk shows Dave played on will agree - he was meant to play
the bass.

> Jack's understated guitar textures have a way of contributing to the
> flow of conversation without monopolizing it.  That's Jack's appeal:  he
> plays guitar like someone who's listening to the words.

Trouble is, he goes a little overboard with his handy-dandy volume pedal.
Seems like he's either almost wholly inaudible, or blaring right out over
top of everything.   Not that the latter is *always* a bad thing.

> Terri T. has the
> ability to blend her voice uncannily with Karin's.  People still ask me,
> "Where did you find her?  She sounds EXACTLY like Karin."  Well actually
she
> doesn't.  She has her own voice.  But she has the rare ability to match
> Karin's tone and to breathe with her and that's what makes...

I agree.  There are a lot of times I wish she'd sing *more*.   In fact, that
seems to be the consensus in these here virtual parts.

> It was a beautiful night.  Thanks so much for being there.  (People flying
in
> from California, driving from Chicago, coming down from Michigan, sneaking
in
> from the South: my goodness.)

And me with my measly two hour drive.   The Subaru topped 204,500 miles, for
those of you keeping tabs on such things.

[...]
> The Blue Jordan folks are fantastic but they had called the night before
[...]
> I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  (Blue Jordan Festival is only in its
second
> year and those very capable people will continue to fine tune, I'm sure.
> It's already an exciting development for the Cincinnati music scene and
will
> no doubt grow.)

Seems like a decent festival - they need to work on their website - the day
of the event, I went to print out the directions they had up there, and it
wasn't working.   At all.   Error 500 - Internal Server error.   Since I've
started working for an internet company, I've become much more critical of
other people's websites.

[...]
> alright.  Part of the system kept shutting off, and there was a low hum
which
> made me wonder if there were a bunch of Buddhist monks underneath the
stage.

If there were, it would have added a whole new dimension to the show, that's
for sure.

[...]
> I guess because the whole night felt so off-kilter, I went on a few
rambling
> Hammond B-3 tirades that I was pretty embarrassed about later, but when
the
> Spirit feels like it wants to move you have to take that leap of faith in
the
> heat of the moment and dive off the high board and hope that it's more
than
> just stringing a bunch of cliches together, blah, blah, blah.

I remember commenting to whichever blanket-mate I was sitting next to at one
point that nothing quite compares to the sound of a real B-3 through the
Leslie cabinet.   I love those Hammond tirades.

[...]
> It takes courage to say, "If you should ever leave, then I would love you
for what you need."

;-)

[...]
> It's an interesting phenomenon, Bob Dylan plugging in his guitar and
> alienating millions of his earliest followers, Joni Mitchell embarking on
her
> jazz phase,

Man, electric Dylan and Joni's jazz phase are my favorite periods of those
artists.

[...]
> Can there be any art without change?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

[...]
> It would be of interest to me to open this discussion with you all
> eventually.

I think it's time for Linford to get his own email address and participate
in the daily conversation.   See if he can out-profane Kyle, or something.
It might be fun.

> In the meanwhile, pick your own high dive and do the cannonball into the
days
> and nights you've been given.  According to some, we only go around once.

I dunno.  I'm on my third revolution *this morning*.

> P.S. For the discussion group only: Stacie informs me that I have reached
> Darth Vader status, and shields me from your posts regarding my genius for
> evil lest I gloat incessantly and my appetite for gleeful destruction of
all
> whom I encounter grows insatiable.  I am absolutely flattered and I thank
> you.  It must mean that at the very least you're on topic, which I
understand
> can be rare.  I now begin to fantasize about what my version of a death
star
> would look like.  I now no longer dream about owning and operating my own
> apple orchard: I will settle for no less than the entire universe.

Return of the Sense Of Humor.   Linford's death star needs to be some sort
of laser emanating from the rotational thingies in the leslie cabinet.  It
could spin and spin, then stop, and rotate to face an audience member, then
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAP!

The bastards!   They killed Drew!

Chris
--