Re: Bitter Women

Well, I didn't think this was supposed to spill over onto the list, but it
has, so I'll repost what I sent before. Besides, those who know me know I
could NEVER resist a subject header like this.

>Tori/Alanis:

Both. It just depends upon whom you ask. They mean different things to
different people, though I know there's a significant overlap.

Now that I'm a little more coherent, I can explain myself a bit more fully.

If you'd come to my school and done a poll similar to this ten years ago, I
would have said Duran Duran over any other band. Other people might have said
the Beastie Boys or Talking Heads or Soul II Soul or something. Ask us all
now, and I'll still say Duran Duran. Why? Because over the years, they've
consistently meant the most to me. Not to my classmates, not to the townies,
not to my roommates (G-d knows) but to ME.

If Tori means something important to you now, then ten years from now, I'll
bet she'll still mean something. If she means nothing at all and you despise
her, I doubt ten years will change that so very much, either. (Though tastes
do change.)

In other words, I love you, Bruce, but the question is pointless on anything
but a personal level. Fun to debate, but music isn't an intellectual
exercise. It's that floppy, moth-eaten, overstretched, snagged-and-pulled
turtleneck sweater you've had for fifteen years and you'd never be caught
dead outside your front door even to get the morning paper but they'll get it
away from you when they pry it off your cold, dead body kinda thang. You have
no idea why you cling to some things with the tenacity and fervour of a
Norman knight in the Holy Lands, but you feel them inside where you needn't
rationalise or explain.

"I don't know art, but I know what I like."