Bitter Women

I screwed up and erased the messages I was going to respond to, so I'll
just respond to Chris, Aaron and Dana together.  (I know you're all on
the edge of your seats.)

First of all, Chris, my face couldn't be straighter.  I still am amazed
by the first Alanis cd, but I also think there is much growth and
maturity (musically, lyrically, and with herself) on the second one.  I
don't know very many bands or artists who would fare very well if you
judged them by their first projects.  And of course I have listened to a
Tori album or two, otherwise how could I justify sharing my ill-founded
opinions on them.

Aaron - I will agree with your assessment of Tori's musical talent, in
the strict classical sense of the word.  No one in their right mind would
deny her abilities.  She also has a "nicer" voice than Alanis - once
again, in the strict classical sense of the word.  I just don't happen to
prefer that.

Dana - Alanis' music is written by her and Glenn Ballard.  The lyrics are
all hers.
	I do like the "deep thoughts - be glad I'm bleeding" line.  Tori is
definitley not shabby in the lyric department.
	"Does Alanis play?" How about guitar, piano, harmonica, and flute.  Not
a master at any of them, but nonetheless effective.
	Yeah, Alanis has had her anger trip - like Sinead, Tori, and countless
others.  But like Sinead, Tori, and countless others, she got over it and
moved on.
	I think you're right, it has as much to do with what hits us and stays
with us as much as anything.  I really liked "Cornflake Girl" and a
couple others, but Ms. Tori went on to do things and say things that I
don't like, so I don't care for her.  Alanis - I find her riveting, and
quite sexy, so I like her.
	I vow, at this very moment, to find a way to listen to more Tori without
having to spend money, and reassessing my opinion of her (although my
opinion of Alanis will stand firm for now, thank you.)  After all, one of
the reasons I latched on to this list is because I respect your
collective opinions.

Once again, just some thoughts.

Kelvin

NP: Bebo Norman -- Ten Thousand Days