Re: Re: My first listie experience

In a message dated 9/13/99 7:20:05 PM, dantemm at erinet_com wrote:

>I still need to hear Duggy Dug's version of it,
>though... :)

We all do. But I think we never will.

This afternoon, in a fit of madness, I volunteered to walk across Center City
Philadelphia in the most dreadful pair of shoes I have ever owned simply in
order to return a naughty cell phone that refused to recharge for a gentleman
in my office. Upon stumbling out the door into the bright sunshine and
gorgeous, cool September air, I realised that while I'd brought my cd player,
I'd forgotten my CD wallet and only had Amateur Shortwave Radio with me. Oh
well, thought I, things could be far, far worse.

Was the sun brighter than usual? Was the fresh breeze crisper and lighter?
Were my dreadful shoes more bearable? Nah. Prolly not. But the walk was
memorable just for being fun, and for the wickedly conspiratorial technician
at the phone repair place ("What's wrong with it?" he asked of the
malfuntioning phone. "I don't know-- do I look like a mind reader?" I
grinned. "No," he grinned back. "You haven't slapped me yet.") I wandered
back across town, errand over, lunch begun, singing "Moth" to unsuspecting
strangers, traipsing down the smallest streets I could find, asking trailing
tendrils of vinka vine if they wouldn't be surprised, too, and if windowboxes
of late petunias would like to trade faces.

And somewhere in it all, as I finally released the track and moved on across
the disc to Jack's little swingful (Nathan!) loveletter, I remembered Duggy
Dug and mourned that no one recorded that fateful show. And then I
remembered...hm...doesn't Linford tape most of the shows? What if I wrote him
an impassioned, pleading letter in my own funky font, begging a secret tape
of this grown-to-mythology show, and promising on my mother's grave (ne'er
mind she's not dead) that I'd never EVER let ANYONE else hear it. Would he,
might he, could he indulge my trembling plea?

Nah. Prolly not.

But it was a fun walk.